Based in the heart of Bozeman, Montana, Wisetail builds Learning Management Systems for innovators who, like us, know a people-first culture is the most important driver of success in the modern workforce.
Our software gives millions of users the chance to learn and develop in an engaging environment and our platform is crafted to meet the unique needs and challenges in today’s workplace. That’s why so many of today’s leading brands—including Shake Shack, SoulCycle, Bonobos, Cheesecake Factory, Einstein Bros, and many more—use Wisetail’s LMS every day.
We hire collaborative, ambitious, and humble people. We provide benefits and tailored career paths needed to develop both personally and professionally. Our team is committed to working toward the common goal of powering great places to work, which in turn holds us accountable to making ours the best it can be. We are proud to have ranked as one of the “Fastest Growing Companies in the U.S.” on Inc. “5000’s” list, “50 Best Small Workplaces” by Fortune Magazine, “One Of The 50 Best Small Workplaces In The U.S.” by Great Places to Work Institute and Outside Magazine’s “The 100 Best Places to Work.” Our parent company, Alchemy Systems, is based in Austin, Texas, and is equally committed to creating best-of-class training software in an environment that has won Statesman’s “Top Workplaces in Austin” award four years running.
We’re particularly focused on building organizations on where people thrive, grow in their careers, and enjoy having high impact through their work. We’re looking for an experienced Vice President of Engineering to help us grow our team based in Bozeman, Montana, and to influence our product roadmap and direction.
The Vice President of Engineering is responsible for delivering a best in class SaaS product, and must be passionate about building great teams and culture. This position will partner with other department leaders to develop and deliver on company initiatives. This is more than a technical role — you’ll be overseeing technical contributors and optimizing processes. You’ll use your experience to inform our engineering process and our decisions when building new features, in order to ensure scalability and availability of the entire platform.
- Care about agility as much as you care for scalability and availability. Continuous deployment keeps us focused on incremental releases.
- Influence and execute on the organization’s strategic platform goals.
- Manage the changing needs of a quickly-growing team, while maintaining and improving our great culture.
- Be actively involved in hiring and growing our engineering team – recruit, hire, and retain top tier talent.
- Drive, create and improve operational excellence, quality, security and privacy initiatives within the team and entire organization.
- Help managers as well as entire team advance skills and careers.
- Create and maintain a yearly department budget.
- Act as an advocate – help others acquire new skills (either directly or finding mentors).
- 6+ years of experience in a software engineering role preferred.
- 4+ years of management experience in a high growth organization is preferred. New managers are grown through our engineering team, so external hires must have hands-on experience of people management.
- Ideally, you’ve helped build an exciting SaaS product in your previous roles and love the satisfaction that comes with knowing that people around the world are using something you’ve created.
- Strong project and team management track record.
- Ability to articulate what makes effective programming and testing practices.
- Experience building inclusive and high-performing team cultures.
- Experience working in a multiple stakeholder model. Wisetail reports directly to parent company - Alchemy Systems. To be successful in this position you have experience working in this model. You’re comfortable presenting to executives and have strong negotiation skills.
- Experience in recruiting from all backgrounds and interviewing consistently and without bias.
- Public speaking, blogging, open source contributions and community participation is something we strongly encourage – we put events together to share how we think and how we go about building great product.
We offer comprehensive employee benefits and creative incentive programs. If there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, talk to us!
- We’ve got you covered. Health care is provided to employees the first day on the job.
- Contribute to the company-sponsored 401K and Wisetail will match half your contribution up to 3%.
- Our “Be Well” program is a monthly stipend that goes toward any activity that contributes to your wellness.
- Have a conference, workshop or other event in mind that would advance your career? We have a Professional Development program to help get you there.
- Pet-friendly work environment. Take a stroll on the many trails or visit the parks located just steps outside our office.
- Generous vacation policy and flexible holidays so you can take time off when you need it.
- You won’t go hungry here. We keep snacks stocked and schedule catered lunches regularly.
- Ride, run or walk to support a local non profit you care about while also earning beer or coffee from some of our favorite local wateringholes.
- Make an impact on your community – we give back by helping direct Wisetail Works community projects.
- Company bikes available for you to take on a break or run errands. We’re conveniently located next to many trail systems and amenities that downtown Bozeman has to offer.
- A rare opportunity to join a company that is still lean but on its way to something much bigger, with a meaningful transformative mission. We’re particularly focused on building organizations on where people thrive, grow in their careers, and enjoy having high impact through their work.
We are a diverse bunch and we want to continue to attract and retain high performers. We're committed to an inclusive and diverse Wisetail! We do not discriminate based on gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, civil or family status, age, disability, or race.