The Divisional Merchandise Manager (DMM) provides leadership and direction to the buying team within the assigned division of our business. The DMM is responsible for leading the team in developing, communicating and executing merchandising strategies that meet or exceed the company's financial budget. This position necessitates a strong servant leader that seeks to continually support and improve the skills of their team. The position also requires an outstanding ability to facilitate conversations involving healthy conflict and continually coach the team to press into those conversations and seek positive actions that can be taken.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Coordinate with Chief Merchandising Officer (CMO) and DMM peers in creating, implementing and maintaining standard operating procedures and ensuring that all team members adhere to them
- Continually create & implement improved business processes so that the buying team can support continued growth and improved execution
- Set expectations for personnel development, provide proper training and hold the team accountable to embracing change & self-improvement.
- Partner with Merchandise Planning Analyst to manage open to buy on seasonal categories as well as maintain healthy inventory turns
- Lead the team in tracking and monitoring sales, margin and sell-through to ensure that the proper stock levels exist to meet financial goals
- Ensure that the purchasing team has a thorough understanding of Mid States Distributing in order to maximize the benefit from our partnership/ownership of this entity
- Partner with Marketing to develop promotional/advertising/marketing strategies
- Support & lead the buying team in negotiating vendor program improvements & driving execution of those program
- Support & lead the buying team in maintaining frequent, healthy and action-oriented communication with Regional Operations staff and our stores
- Work with Sourcing & Logistics Officer and team to realize significant financial improvement
- Oversee and participate in buying shows, vendor negotiations, etc.
- Oversee and participate in store visits and drive positive changes as a result of those visits
- Establish and maintain effective vendor relationships and work with buyers to strengthen relationships, programs, and product and trend knowledge
- Anticipate market trends and develop plans for response to changes in trends
- Ensure compliance with local, state and federal regulatory agencies/laws as they relate to the sale of products within the division of business
- Ensure that all team members are in compliance with company policies, procedures and practices
- Recruit, develop and retain team members to ensure delivery of exceptional results now and in the future