Home Science Tools is a successful, growth oriented online retailer of educational science products. Our mission is to inspire learning though hands-on science at home. Our vision is for every family to experience the wonder and joy of discovering the world through science, resulting in a richer human experience for generations. Our core values are family, faith, wonder and growth. Visit the company website www.homesciencetools.com for more information.
Product Developer (Educational Science Product Developer)
Reports to: Product Director
This position identifies, develops and launches new, unique, educational science kit products as part of a key development initiative aimed at transforming science education at home. This position also selects new products available in the marketplace that meet the needs of parent teachers to engage and inspire kids through hands-on science learning. Work will be driven by the Home Science Tools Product Roadmap and performance will be measured by meeting development/launch timelines, new product sales and competitive advantage in product offering.
- Brainstorm, select, develop, test and launch new products (primarily educational science kits)
- Identifies, evaluates and selects products and kit components available in the marketplace
- Write instructions, student worksheets, teacher guides and other educational product content
- Research and understand customer needs and market trends
- Build product quality into development process
- Provide training to HST team as needed on new products
- Supports company strategy of providing innovative, growth-oriented products to ensure our competitive advantage and exceptionally meet customer needs.
- Identifies new product needs and opportunities, identifies new product supply sources, develops new products internally (primarily educational science kits), evaluates and selects new products.
- In accordance with Product Roadmap targets: brainstorm, select, develop, test and launch new products (primarily K-12 educational science kits).
- Writes new product instructions, specifications and, in collaboration with Product Marketing, website descriptions.
- Researches, analyzes and invests in relationships to understand customer needs and expectations to identify products that meet and exceed those needs. May include attendance at trade-shows, conferences or other venues to engage with customers.
- Continuously develops product and science education knowledge and expertise, understanding of HST core and potential markets and competitive environment.
- Champions new product introduction, including set up and coordination throughout the organization, working closely with Marketing, Customer Service, Supply Chain and Production. Provides training and support on new products as needed.
- Supports Product Manager in defining product pricing to ensure gross profitability, product forecast and competitive position in marketplace.
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in a field of science education or science or engineering. Experience with K – 8 science education is a plus.
- Preferred 2+ years’ experience in one or more of the following areas: science education, technical/instructional writing, product development or other field of science or engineering.
- Ability to acquire, analyze and act upon a wide variety of data to identify product marketing opportunities and select and develop new products.
- Ability to research and write science product descriptions, instructions and specifications. Excellent writing skills both technical and non-technical and ability to write instructions that are geared toward K-12 students.
- Attention to detail and ability to develop, prioritize and manage multiple long and short-term activities and projects to best meet the business needs and Product Roadmap.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Ability to work closely with Marketing, Supply Chain, Customer Service and Production to ensure exceptional customer experience with company product.
- Skilled with Microsoft Office software including Word, Excel and Outlook. Willingness to learn other software tools.
Physical Demands & Working Conditions:
- Relocation to Billings, Montana.
- Occasional travel: 5-10%
- Sitting for long periods.
- Use of fingers, hands, arms involving computer work and lifting and carrying of material
- Good close, distance and peripheral vision.
- Occasional long workdays when meeting key deadlines, during critical projects or seasonal peaks.
- Ability to speak clearly and listen carefully.
- Ability to handle stressful situations such as dealing with conflict in a patient and respectful manner.
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive wage based on experience
- Paid time off includes PTO and nine holidays
- Generous medical, dental, short-term disability, long-term disability, and life insurance.
- 401(k) plan with generous company contributions
Location: Corporate Office, Billings, Montana
Travel Required: 5-10%
Job Type: Full Time
Career Level: Professional (exempt)
To apply, send resume and cover letter to Trevor at firstname.lastname@example.org.